My own genetical cultural identity is British and European New Zealander. However i solemnly believe that your environment plays a significant part in creating who you are. I was raised by Maori’s and thats how I identify my cultural identity. I have always paid close attention to the beliefs of Maori. One of my favourite stories being Maui and the Sun. I too would love to see myself as a warrior achieving great feats, such as capturing the sun. However I am seen by everyone else as just a white man. I guess that is one reason why I can never really identify myself as a Maori because I am white, and I have never experienced racism. However I have been in the middle of cross fires between other races at my educational institution. Where third parties were trying to get pacific boys expelled in their efforts to bring in more white children into the school. This for me felt like it would have been a similar experience to the ‘Dawn Raids.’ Where only the brown skinned were targeted. And if any of the islander took a step out of line it would mean huge consequences whereas the whiter coloured weren’t even looked at.
Janet Lilo "Beneath the Radar" 2012 - Three channel video.

No comments:
Post a Comment